Sunday, June 14, 2009

JULIAN BAKERY’S REAL SOURDOUGH RYE BREAD

Julian Bakery’s Real Sourdough Rye Bread is wheat free, yeast free and sweet free, but it explodes with flavors. This is a true German/Russian, dense rye bread. It is extremely delicious alone or with cream cheeses, olive oils and/or butter. This is a one-of-a-kind bread for hearty rye lovers.

It is made with fresh stone ground rye, quinoa, caraway seeds, onion granules and sea salt.

Rye is a grass grown as a grain. It is closely related to barley and wheat. Rye is a cereal and should not be confused with ryegrass. Rye has a lower gluten content than wheat flour and contains a higher proportion of soluble fiber.

Quinoa is a species of goosefoot (chenopodium) and is a grain-like crop grown for its seeds. It is not a true cereal or grain, as it is not a grass. Quinoa is closely related to beets, spinach and tumbleweeds. Quinoa is highly valued for its protein content, making it a healthy choice for vegetarians and vegans. Unlike wheat or rice, Quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids, making it an unusual complete protein. It is a good source of fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. It is gluten-free and easy to digest.

Caraway seeds contain appreciable moisture, protein, fat, substantial amount of carbohydrates, along with ash, calcium, phosphorus, sodium, potassium, iron, thiamine, riboflavin and niacin. It also contains vitamins C and A.

Julian Bakery’s Real Sourdough Rye Bread is honestly my all time favorite. The first time I tried it, I ate the whole round in a day and a half. I think my subconscious was afraid it was not real at all and would disappear without notice, so I had to eat it all up quickly. However, now I keep my freezer full of it, so there is no need to worry about running out and I can enjoy it at a more peaceful pace.

I use Real Sourdough Rye as a quick snack, just sliced thin with a sharp, serrated knife and toasted on high with Earth Balance Buttery Spread; or like last night, I had it as an open-faced sandwich with fresh gathered eggs. I also love it with melted veggie slices (or you can use any cheese). It is also excellent as a sandwich with Smart Dogs (or hot dogs) sliced up small with tomatoes, etc. It is also great as an appetizer before an Italian meal, just dunked in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. However, I think my favorite way is just toasted with Earth Balance (or butter). That is when you can really taste all the flavors in it. It gives your mouth quite a calming affect. Trust me…it does…really. I love it and you will too.

Enjoy, Samantha
Buy Online http://www.JulianBakery.com